Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Heroes...

So...I've been chastised for not writing on my blog. I'll try and be better. I just can't promise it will be interesting. So sorry in advance if you're reading this.

My sister is an avid blogger. It's sort of an obsession now (much like Facebook has now become my Dad's...weird). So I was reading one of her many blog entries, which happened to be about Che Guevara. (Of course my sister would write about him....) Something she said struck me. She talked about how people looked to him as a hero because they needed a hero. Or how she hoped Obama would become our modern-day hero figure. Perhaps people need a hero because they are looking in all the wrong places. You don't find modern-day heroes in comic books or TV series. Or even political figures. Heroes are not the people everyone idolizes and read about in magazines; heroes are the people that make a difference. They are the ones who care about you, that inspire you. They are the ones that serve you or make you laugh. The ones who are courageous, and set an example even in the hardest of times. They are the ones who don't succumb to the pressures of the world even if it's hard.

So...today one of my heroes is one of my best friends. She has enormous courage and the most amazing faith. I have met very few people that are better than her. In my personal opinion, she has a first-class ticket to the celestial kingdom. A few years ago she lost a family member, but that hasn't stopped her. She is still always the one that I turn to because she listens and she cares. That is the type of person who deserves to be called a hero in my opinion.

1 comment:

Ash said...

Oh boy look at my little sister refuting my argument. What happened to the little girl who listened to Sailer Moon all day every day? I guess now that you’re old enough to get into BYU, you’re old enough to get into Cabulagan Family debates.

It’s hard for people our age to believe heroes can exist in politics. In our lifetime we haven’t seen any. Now America’s youth looks to Hollywood and Rock Stars as heroes, which are all the wrong places. We need heroes in high places if we want the majority of common people to be honest, good people. Our Founding Fathers would agree.

But you’re right. If we are searching at the top for great people, we neglect to see all the great people around us. Everyday heroes who have made a difference in our lives. So many heroes why not be inspired by them all? Especially the ones closest to us. Very cool Lala.